Wednesday, October 30, 2013


Weeks 16 and 17 flew by. Things have been hectic.  A few things have also not gone to plan.  We do have a roof, which is great news.  We also have a deck joists in place.  We also have insulation.  We spent last weekend insulating the ceiling space in the open plan area with thermal and acoustic insulation to dull the noises from upstairs and vice versa.  Also had to dig a trench to enable the gas line to be relocated.  So, all the fun jobs!  The solar hot water we needed for our 6 star energy rating went on the roof (no place for a tank on the ground). All elec and plumbing rough ins are done. Air con rough in also sorted, with a bulkhead unit in the back area so we don't have a split on the wall.  Hard to say whether we really needed it given the double glazing and full on insulation, but we didn't want to regret not putting one in later.
Marble splashback (statuetto) has been honed and is awaiting my visit to choose the final caesarstone benchtop to closely match.
Bath arrived, it is really lovely.  Not sure how we are gong to get it to site!
Lots of internal fix happening. Cavity recesses built to accommodate roller blinds. Skirtings on prior to plastering - aiming for a P50 detail.
Full height 1200mm cavity slider installed and looks amazing.
Slight panic over certain other little things, but we are getting there.
Excitement might kick in next week, not sure yet.

The polished concrete:

Insulated open living area:

Full height cavity slider:

Deck joists are in:

Sunday, October 13, 2013


The painter put a second coat of charcoal stain on the upper level timber cladding, looks very crisp now.  Roof plumbers came back and put more flashings on the upper level.  A whole lot of decisions about guttering (or should I say spouts), downpipes, profiles, colours.  More cladding in light court and rear ground floor.  Scaffolding came down, took just over one full day to bring down!  Lots of internal carpentry happening in the background with skirts and door jambs etc all going in.  Plumbers were on site on Thursday - we confirmed all the rough in locations, and I took a toilet, basins, tap ware etc to site for plumbers to look at, then took it all back at the end of the day.  Plumbing rough in has now started, in wall cisterns for toilets all in and fit into a 90mm cavity.  Gas and piping for solar gas hot water system on roof now winds it ways up through the floors.  Spent 3 hours on site with the electrician on Saturday to confirm electrical rough in.  Builders worked a 6 day week again. Got measured up for blinds on site, there is more to window furnishings than one expects.  Quotes in for bench tops and marble splash back, that's a whole other story. Power authority not allowing us to upgrade power by using existing setup which sees our power line strung across 2 other neighbour's front yards (!) so unfortunately need to pay for underground power supply and the necessary boring. The boys and I dug up some dirt to make way for the deck, but the weather was not ideal. Back verandah went up.  The remainder of the very old terracotta roof tiles were removed from our main bedroom roof.  New roof programmed for tomorrow - and it has rained almost all day today....

Been a busy week.

Scaffolding coming down:

Back room looks much better without scaffolding coming through eaves!

Rear verandah:

Verandah from below:

Boys making full use of side easement, this may become a routine:

Looking up to roof over main bedroom without roof tiles:

In wall cistern for toilet and T being very helpful:

Digging for back deck:

Sunday, October 6, 2013


Front verandah came off and new one was built.  New front bay window with double glazing arrived and was installed.  Cladding continued.  Double glazing for windows and doors finally arrived and was installed (just waiting on 2 sashless ones after plastering goes in). Skylight over stairwell also went in and looks fabulous.  New weatherboards started going up on facade now bay window is in, and it is finally looking like it is going to be our home! Lock up is imminent.  Which is good because the weather over the last week or so has been atrocious.

T undertaking a routine site inspection with the aid of his dinosaur tail:

Porch verandah demolished:

Looking straight into our main bedroom!:

New porch going in:

Cladding finished around raked velux windows of boys' bedrooms:

I like the look of the black timber cladding under the wrap on the first floor playroom:

Skylight in:

Glass in rear doors all in:

New bay window and weatherboards going onto facade:

View from street: